Testing your broadband speed can be fraught with challenges, as to ensure it's accurate you need to get a few things in place.
Giganet has its own www.speedtest.net server that we recommend you use
Be sure that the Giganet - Salisbury server is selected before you run the test. By default, speedtest.net may select a third party server, and this might be overloaded and not have capacity, whereas ours does.
This server is connected to our network at 10Gb/s, and as we manage & monitor this, we know that it's not going to be the bottleneck for any speedtests our customers run. Therefore please DO NOT use any other server apart from our Giganet server.
Even if you are physically located closer to another speedtest.net server location, please don't select this, as your traffic will have to route through our core network in London before looping back out. Our speedtest.net server is located within our network.
Step by step guide
- Disconnect all other users of the broadband connection.
- If you have other people using your connection at the same time, your test won't be accurate.
- Hard cable your laptop/computer into the broadband router using an Ethernet cable, and ensure you're connected at 1Gb/s (1000Mb/s).
- Wi-Fi speeds may be slower, and this won't actually prove whether the problem is with the Wi-Fi or the underlying connection, therefore please don't test using Wi-Fi.
- Close all open programs and applications on your device.
- You need to ensure that your computer is not overloaded with other activity whilst your performing the test.
- Browse to www.speedtest.net
- For high speed broadband connections that are above 300Mb/s, we recommend you download Speedtest's Windows, Mac, Linux or CLI application as these are more accurate than your internet browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari).
- Once you have downloaded the application, or the CLI, or using the web browser version of www.speedtest.net, ensure that the server selected is Giganet - Salisbury.
- If it's not automatically selected you will need to click on "Change Server
- Type Salisbury
- Click GO to start your speedtest
Speedtest.net Mac Client
- Download the Mac client from https://www.speedtest.net/apps/mac
- Once installed and open, the speedtest logo will appear in the top menu bar.
- Click on this to reveal the speedtest app.
- If Giganet Salisbury is not shown as the server, (as illustrated below), then click to change server, and scroll down the list until you find it.
- You should favourite it too by clicking [change server], find the Giganet Salisbury server, then click on the three dots to the right hand side, then click [favourite this server].
- Once set, click GO to test.
Speedtest.net Linux/CLI app
- Download and install the speedtest CLI app from https://www.speedtest.net/apps/cli
- Once at the terminal type in
speedtest -s 36718-s 36718 specifies to use the Giganet server.