Accurately testing your broadband speed is surprisingly difficult!
To get the best results we recommend you use speedtest.net and follow the step by step guide below:
For connections up to 300Mb/s, use https://www.speedtest.net/
For connections above 300Mb/s, we recommend you download Speedtest's Windows, Mac, Linux or CLI application https://www.speedtest.net/apps as these are more accurate than your internet browser (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari) that just can't keep up with gig full fibre and will report a slower speed than you actually have.
How to carry out an accurate broadband speed test
We have our own speedtest.net server on our network and we recommend you use this.
NOTE: Be sure Giganet - Portsmouth server is selected before you run the test. Speedtest.net may select another server and, even if it seems closer to you, we can't guarantee the capacity or speed of connection of third party servers and it may simply not be able to keep up!
Step by step guide
- Disconnect all other users of the broadband connection.
- If there are other people using your connection at the same time, your test won't be accurate.
- Connect your laptop/computer into the broadband router using an Ethernet (CAT5) cable, and ensure you're connected at 1Gb/s (1000Mb/s).
- Wi-Fi speeds are typically slower and sometimes much slower - so this won't provide an accurate test of your Internet connection speed at all.
- Close all open programs and applications on your device, including any VPN software.
- Your computer shouldn't be overloaded with other activity whilst your performing the test.
- Browse to www.speedtest.net or download, install and run the application or CLI
- Don't forget to make sure that the server selected is Giganet - Portsmouth
- If not automatically selected click on "Change Server"
- Type Portsmouth
- Click GO to start your speed test
Speedtest.net Mac Client
- Download the Mac client from https://www.speedtest.net/apps/mac
- Once installed and open, the speedtest logo will appear in the top menu bar.
- Click on this to reveal the speedtest app.
- If Giganet - Portsmouth is not shown as the server, (as illustrated below), then click to change server, and scroll down the list until you find it.
- You should favourite it too by clicking [change server], find the Giganet - Portsmouth server, then click on the three dots to the right hand side, then click [favourite this server].
- Once set, click GO to test.
Speedtest.net Linux/CLI app
- Download and install the speedtest CLI app from https://www.speedtest.net/apps/cli
- Once at the terminal type in
speedtest -s 36718-s 36718 specifies to use the Giganet server.