If you'd like to maintain your Giganet broadband and optional Giganet Home Phone service during a power outage, then we have the solution.
Giganet now makes available to order for new and existing customers battery backup power supplies.
The battery backup systems will keep your broadband and router running for 'up to an hour' in the event that you lose mains power.
The battery backup unit is a small replacement power supply.
You will need two battery backup units, as you'll need to connect one to the Full Fibre ONT, and one to Giganet's UltraHub router.
We provide them in pairs.
How to order battery backup power supplies
- During the ordering process, under the Add ons section, please scroll down to the bottom and select the battery backup option to your basket.
- This will add 2 x battery backup power supplies to your basket.
- These will be shipped to your address with your router.
- Please contact us, and we'll raise a manual order.
- £45 for 2 x battery backup units
- £0 delivery charge (as we share the delivery costs with your main router)
We're able to save money by shipping the power supplies with your router, so there is no additional delivery charge.
- £45 for 2 x battery backup units
- £9.95 delivery charge (as this would be a dedicated shipment)
How to install
- Locate the Full Fibre ONT (the small white or black box that the fibre from outside connects into) and the Giganet UltraHub router.
- Unplug both their power supplies and disconnect from your mains sockets.
- You should now have two free available mains sockets
- Unbox and plug the two battery backup power supplies into the mains power sockets that have just been freed up.
- Once the battery backup supplies are powered up (green light flashing/solid), connect the other end to the Full Fibre ONT and Giganet UltraHub router.
LED status indicators
- Green flashing: Charging
- Green solid: Fully charged
- Red: Fault
Battery Backup Runtime
The battery backup power supply should provide up to 1 hours worth of battery backup for your full fibre service.
If you consume our Giganet Phone service, and you are using a standard (unpowered) analogue phone, then this will also be protected.
The actual runtime will depend on:
- Your usage of the full fibre service. If you are connecting a lot of devices to the router, either wired or wireless, using the internet a lot, or using the Giganet Phone service, then your actual runtime may be lower than one hour.
- Whether the battery backup units have been fully charged
- Whether the battery backup units are old - batteries are consumable items and need servicing/replacing.
If you are a Giganet Phone customer, and maintaining the longest uptime possible for this, then we recommend you disconnect all devices from the internet, do not use the internet, to lower the power utilisation and prolong the battery life.
Over time, as batteries are a consumable item, the runtime will decrease. We do not provide any warranty for the battery lifetime, and you will be required to replace them if the battery life becomes too short at your own expense. We of course do provide 12m warranty covering other supported aspects.
Giganet Phone Considerations
If you have a standard analogue phone connected to the Giganet UltraHub router, one that is unpowered, then this shall continue to function during the power outage whilst the battery backup power supplies are powering the Openreach ONT and UltraHub router.
However if you have a powered phone connected to the UltraHub router, such as a DECT cordless phone, then this will not work in the event of a power outage.
999 Emergency Services
Please be aware that relying on the Giganet Full Fibre broadband and Giganet Phone service, even if you have the Battery Backup service is not a suitable scenario.
We recommend you have an alternate means to contact the emergency services, such as a fully charged, working mobile phone with signal, or whilst they are still available, a plain ordinary analogue telephone line.
Battery Backup Unit Technical Specification
- Replaces the existing power supplies for the Full Fibre ONT and Giganet UltraHub router
- Built in lithium Ion (Li-ion) battery
- Auto start
- Cold start
- Regulated DC-power output
- High efficiency
- LED multicoloured status indicator
- Built in 6kV surge suppression
- Overload and short circuit protection
- Battery over-charge and discharge protection
- 2 metre cord
- 2.1mm jack (fits the Openreach ONT and UltraHub router power input socket)
Battery Backup Unit Photos