If you are experiencing slower Internet speeds than you expected, it might be down to several very common factors rather than an issue with the supplied connection. Some of these factors can be easy to fix.
Here are the most common causes for slow Internet. Fixing these issues will give you the most accurate speed test result.
- WiFi performance will be significantly reduced when distance between your device and the Giganet UltraHub is increased.
- The WiFi signal will be weaker if there are concrete walls between your device and the Giganet UltraHub. Your device should indicate WiFi strength with the WiFi icon. At least two bars are needed for reliability and be aware speed will be reduced. Reliable testing with WiFi should be performed near Giganet UltraHub - You'll notice WiFi strength is a full three bars when nearby.
- WiFi operates via the air waves just like many other devices in your home. You will be able to notice the difference between speed tests completed with household devices that emit frequencies turned on and with it switched off. If you identify one of the devices to be the cause of slow Internet, perhaps a slight relocation might be the answer! Household devices include:
- SkyQ or Previous Provider’s Routers
- Microwave Oven
- Wireless Speakers
- Baby Monitors
- LCD Monitors
- Cordless Phones
- Ensure your UltraHub is well located out of cupboards and not hiding behind other objects
that could block the signal.
- A lot of devices connected to the WiFi at the same time is likely to reduce performance. The Giganet speeds will be shared and allocated to each device that is connected. Try your test with only one device switched on. Perhaps a Giganet package upgrade is needed to support heavier Internet usage and multiple users.
- HD streaming demands a high throughput so will most certainly reduce other device’s performance. Ensure there is no streaming while you test your speed.
- Just slow on one application or website? Try the website or application later as it may be currently overloaded. If it is an app, try deleting and re-installing it.
- Only one device having problems? Ensure airplane mode is off and WiFi is enabled and connected. Also try restarting the device that you are using.
Now you have considered the above, it is time to test!
First, identify what package you are on to understand if your results match what you have opted for. Giganet UltraBEAM 100 package will deliver average download speeds of 100Mb/s and upload speeds of 20Mb/s.
As mentioned previously, the most accurate test would be performed on a device connected to the Giganet UltraHub via Ethernet cable, but we know that may not always possible.
If you have followed all the steps above and the speed test is considerably lower than what you opted for, please get in touch.