Giganet can offer FTTP on Demand where your connection would route via the following "parent" exchanges:
This is due to Giganet unbundling these exchanges and we can directly deal with Openreach.
Your local exchange may be a child exchange of the above exchanges, so if your parent exchange is one of the above, then we can help.
National FTTPoD across the rest of the UK
Sadly we cannot offer FTTPoD nationally anywhere else in the UK due to supplier restrictions.
What is FTTPoD
FTTP stands for Fibre to the Premises. This is the 'very best' in broadband technology where a full-fibre service is installed into your home.
As the name implies, FTTP on Demand (FTTPoD) is demand-led where a customer can order a FTTP service if this is not natively available at their address. For instance, FTTP is available to homes in the town or city, but not on your street, or not at your address. When you place an order for FTTPoD, full-fibre infrastructure will be built to your property from the nearest existing fibre infrastructure.
FTTPoD comes at a price however, as the costs to lay fibre in the ducts in the ground/ overhead, install new chambers in the pavement/road, install the various connection points, splitters, the labour costs, and everything else that is required to provide a connection is onwards passed to you as a cost.
So FTTPoD is not a cheap solution. However it may be for some the only solution to getting an improved fit-for-purpose
If FTTPoD is available at your address, then we can firstly work out the cost to install the fibre infrastructure to your property as part of a desktop survey.
Set up costs
If you live nearby to one of these towns/city, and you'd like to find out whether you can get FTTPoD, please contact us.
By way of a warning before you do get in touch, FTTPoD installation is not generally cheap. The installation pricing is worked out bespoke based on where your property is based to the existing nearby fibre assets that it would join with.
Therefore if you happen to be very close to the existing fibre infrastructure, then the set up costs can be lower and less than £5-10,000. If you are miles away from this infrastructure, then the set up price may run into multiple £10,000s.
By way of setting expectations however, it's rare to see FTTPoD for less than £2k.
Grant funding the set up costs
There are various Government initiatives that are helping people with the installation costs associated with installing full-fibre gigabit capable broadband.
Please see our Rural Gigabit Voucher Scheme page for further details, eligibility and criteria.
Monthly rental costs and packages
The good news with FTTPoD is that the monthly rental pricing is the same as other FTTP pricing.
In this case of Giganet, our Local UltraBEAM pricing applies, and due to FTTPoD restrictions we can only provide UltraBEAM 150 and UltraBEAM 300 services.
From September 1st 2020, UltraBEAM 100, 500, 1000 will be made available as Openreach are opening up more speed options.
FTTPoD is one of the more complicated and bespoke services available, and therefore there is no fixed guaranteed lead time. However from experience, and to set expectations, the lead time can run into many months, upwards of 100 working days and beyond.
It's been known that orders can take over a year to be installed.
Many factors particularly outside of the control of Giganet, Openreach or their contractors, such as traffic management, and street work permits and where required, agreeing third party wayleaves, can all have the effect to delay the installation.
Who's FTTPoD recommended for?
- patient and desperate folks!
- those who are prepared to wait for the connection (lead time can be upwards of 100 working days, however some case studies in the UK have taken 1-2 years!)
- are not considering moving property anytime soon (certainly not within 2 years, as the install can be so long, you'd need to ensure you're around to use the service)
- that don't appear to be in a region where a native FTTP deployment has been announced or is likely to be rolled out 'for free' anytime soon
- desperately need a better internet connection and have no other choice
- can't make do with other solutions, such as 3G/4G/5G mobile or satellite broadband
- there's not 'alt-net' such as a fixed wireless or rural FTTP provider nearby
Process of going ahead
- Desktop survey:
- Free obligation desktop survey results which give a good guide as to what the upfront installation costs will be. There is no order obligation at this point.
- We'll only be able to share with you rough ball park install pricing at this point. This ball park pricing could be massively inaccurate though, as Openreach's records can be a tad wrong in many part of the country.
- On-site survey & 'pre-order'
- A no-obligation order is placed against the FTTP UltraBEAM package you require.
- A £300 inc VAT non-refundable survey is charged immediate on order.
- Once the survey results come back, a fixed-price installation charge is provided.
- You decide whether you wish to continue and accept the charges, or cancel without penalty, apart from the £300 inc VAT non-refundable survey charge.
- Installation confirmed
- If you accept the on-site survey results and charges, then we will send a revised contract to cover the upfront set up charges and the monthly package you will go for.
- If you have opted to use the Rural Gigabit Voucher Scheme, then we will apply and incorporate the voucher into the contract and proposed charges to minimise the impact to you.
- A non-refundable deposit of between 50-100% will be taken before order depending on the charge. If a grant is being used, and you are due a refund, we'll process this after the grant has been paid.
- The installation works then take place and cannot be cancelled once commenced, hence the deposit is non-refundable.
- As FTTPoD is a bespoke service, the lead time can be upwards of 100 working days, but could be considerably longer.
- There is no service level on the lead time, and no compensation or recourse is possible for the length of time it takes.
- This can be extended and delayed based on many factors, particularly outside of the control of us, Openreach or their contractors, such as traffic management, and street work permits and potentially agreeing third party wayleaves.
- However, if there is nearby FTTP, and there aren't many issues, then the installation could take place within 6 months.
- Once the FTTPoD infrastructure works have completed, it's time for your connection and go-live.
- Once completed, you shall be charged the full remaining balance for the installation, less any voucher contributions and deposit payments.
- Your service rental charges and minimum term will commence from service activation.