Giganet can offer FTTP on Demand where your connection would route via the following exchanges:
This is due to Giganet unbundling these exchanges and we can directly deal with Openreach.
National FTTPoD across the rest of the UK
Sadly we cannot offer FTTPoD nationally anywhere else in the UK due to supplier restrictions.
What is FTTPoD
FTTP stands for Fibre to the Premises. This is the 'very best' in broadband technology where a full-fibre service is installed into your home.
As the name implies, FTTP on Demand (FTTPoD) is demand-led where a customer can order a FTTP service if this is not natively available at their address. For instance, FTTP is available to homes in the town or city, but not on your street, or not at your address. When you place an order for FTTPoD, full-fibre infrastructure will be built to your property from the nearest existing fibre infrastructure.
FTTPoD comes at a price however, as the costs to lay fibre in the ducts in the ground/ overhead, install new chambers in the pavement/road, install the various connection points, splitters, the labour costs, and everything else that is required to provide a connection is onwards passed to you as a cost.
So FTTPoD is not a cheap solution. However it may be for some the only solution to getting an improved fit-for-purpose
If FTTPoD is available at your address, then we can firstly work out the cost to install the fibre infrastructure to your property as part of a desktop survey.
Set up costs
If you live nearby to one of these towns/city, and you'd like to find out whether you can get FTTPoD, please contact us.
By way of a warning before you do get in touch, FTTPoD installation is not generally cheap. The installation pricing is worked out bespoke based on where your property is based to the existing nearby fibre assets that it would join with.
Therefore if you happen to be very close to the existing fibre infrastructure, then the set up costs can be lower and a few £1,000s. If you are miles away from this infrastructure, then the set up price may run into many £10,000s.
By way of setting expectations however, installation pricing is generally never less than a couple of £1,000.
Grant funding the set up costs
There are various Government initiatives that are helping people with the installation costs associated with installing full-fibre gigabit capable broadband.
Please see our Rural Gigabit Voucher Scheme page for further details, eligibility and criteria.
Monthly rental costs
The good news with FTTPoD is that the monthly rental pricing is the same as other FTTP pricing.
In this case of Giganet, our Local UltraBEAM pricing applies, and due to FTTPoD restrictions we can only provide UltraBEAM 100 and UltraBEAM 300 services. UltraBEAM 500 and UltraBEAM 1000 are not available on FTTPoD sadly.
FTTPoD is one of the more complicated and bespoke services available, and therefore there is no fixed guaranteed lead time. However from experience, and to set expectations, the lead time can run into many months, upwards of 100 working days and beyond.
Many factors particularly outside of the control of Giganet, Openreach or their contractors, such as traffic management, and street work permits and where required, agreeing third party wayleaves, can all have the effect to delay the installation.
Therefore our recommendation is that FTTPoD is good for:
- those who are not in a particular rush to get a connection (lead time can be upwards of 100 working days)
- are not considering moving property anytime soon (certainly not within 2 years)
- that don't appear to be in a region where a native FTTP deployment has been announced
- desperately need a better internet connection
Process of going ahead
- Desktop survey:
- No obligation desktop survey results which give a good guide as to what the upfront installation costs will be. There is no order obligation at this point.
- On-site survey
- A non-refundable upfront £300 inc VAT survey charge is charged.
- Contracts agreed
- If you accept the on-site survey results and charges, then we will send a contract to cover the upfront set up charges and the monthly package you will go for.
- The installation works then take place.
- As FTTPoD is a bespoke service, the lead time can be upwards of 100 working days.
- This can be extended and delayed based on many factors, particularly outside of the control of us, Openreach or their contractors, such as traffic management, and street work permits and potentially agreeing third party wayleaves.
- Once the FTTPoD infrastructure works have completed, it's time for your connection and go-live.